Thursday, August 07, 2008

'There, But For The Grace of God...'

A fire broke out on an overnight train traveling from Hyderabad through the state of Andhra Pradesh this past weekend. Two colleagues from our Hyderabad office are missing and feared to be dead. The speed and brutality with which life can be snuffed out here are breathtaking. I thank God for my country with its hundreds of seemingly-fussy laws intended to protect consumer safety. Anyone of us may die tomorrow and accidents happen everywhere, but I feel relatively assured that when my days end, it shall not be in trying to pry the steel bars from the windows of a burning train car.

Please take a moment to wish Hari, Roshni and their families well. In a country that believes so deeply in karma, any good wishes can only help. I sincerely hope that we'll see their safe return, but failing that, I hope that they are together and at peace.

No comments: